Date: 8/26/17 3:27 pm
From: Dyl Pedro via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] NE CT Highlights-8/26 and 8/27, Baird's Sandpiper continues at Windham Airport
Starting yesterday evening along East Thompson Rd. in Thompson, I had 2 Solitary Sandpipers, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 4 Killdeer. Quite a few Broad-winged Hawks in the woods as I drove by the next morning.

This morning at the Quinebaug Hatchery in Plainfield, with Bob Dixon and Doug Warner, a nice tally of 62 species. Although mostly the usual suspects, several birds offered some awesome views.

Later, Doug and I pressed on to the Windham Airport where we had the continuing (or maybe a different one?) Baird's Sandpiper. It was first seen almost at the top of the causeway on the rocks! And then flew down to the reservoir and began working the edge, calling often. Also, a flock of ~7 peeps and 2 yellowlegs that we never got on, but in all likelihood they were Leasts and Lesser Yellowlegs. One of the Lesser Yellowlegs called a bit later. The Great Egret was working the shoreline.

I headed back towards RI afterwards, but stopped at Quaddick State Forest in Thompson. Here I had a Blue-headed Vireo, although I'm not sure whether it was migrant or resident, as they do nest nearby in Buck Hill, RI. Of non-avian note were two Northern Pearly-Eye butterflies!

Good birding

Dylan Pedro

Waterford