Date: 8/25/17 7:34 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (25 Aug 2017) 21 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 21 29 29

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 5.5 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers:

Visitors:
Joe 'Mac' and his friend Joe. The first is an astronomy
expert who yesterday got Wachusett's permission to have a
small astronomy-night with his friends sometime in Sept.
All will have great scopes and some with fully-automated
state of the art astronomy telescopes. Date TBD.
No crowds today but, after an hour with the hill to
myself(!), a steady flow of pleasant visitors all day.

Weather:
First N wind of year! At start, 8kpm/5mph; 17C/62F
under 40% overcast sky of building cumulus clouds.
Visibility all day was 65km/40mi, though after haze
lifted the remaining smoke haze allowed a glimpse of
Mt. Greylock.
Temp crept up to 22C/72 K by noon and stayed there.
Wind direction was north in AM with occasional shifts
from NNE to NW. Best winds 10am-12pm at 8-13kph/8-12mph.

Raptor Observations:
Wishing today was in mid-Sept., but did have 1st double-
digit day (19)total and 13BW -- as expected due to report
of first BW's in NH yesterday.
Largest group of BW was 6 non-kettling birds I picked up
just off Monadnock who approached and passed on W side of
hill at eye level and only 4-5 hundred yards out. At the
same time I had 3 on E side who remained in formation
while not really close to each other. Siblings? ...12:20pm.

Non-raptor Observations:
Wishing today was in mid-Sept., but did have 1st double-
digit day (19)total and 13BW -- as expected due to report
of first BW's in NH yesterday.
Largest group of BW was 6 non-kettling birds I picked up
just off Monadnock who approached and passed on W side of
hill at eye level and only 4-5 hundred yards out. At the
same time I had 3 on E side who remained in formation
while not really close to each other. Siblings? ...12:20pm

Predictions:
Similar to today but possibly just light NW breeze.
I'm working so will be a no-show. (No worries, it's still
August.
Sunday could be the light NE wind ... I'm going but
might have to leave for 1-2 hrs.; (yeah, it's still August
but I hope not to have to leave a NE breeze!)
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
www.massbird.org/emhw

Join us on Facebook!