Date: 8/25/17 12:45 pm
From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Red Crossbill flight
Hi Betsy, Red Crossbills breed early in the year and are often on the move by mid-late summer. The timing doesn't say much as to what winter will bring but the recent occurrence of several western types here indicates an influx from that region in the short term no doubt. Pine siskins were around in above average numbers in mid-summer but their numbers have already subsided it seems. I haven't noted any unusual patterns in numbers of Red-breasted Nuthatches or other boreal species at this point. Typically, irruptions of winter species like redpolls, white-winged crossbills, waxwings, evening and pine grosbeaks don't show themselves until mid-late October into November. We shall see!

-Ryan

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady