Date: 8/25/17 12:09 pm
From: Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3) <FCollins...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Make extra Hummingbird nectar while you still have power
Dan is exactly right about the boiling.
We have and will have winds from the east and it will sway the feeders on the south side of the nature center which may empty them before the birds can drink them dry. We have installed several on the west porch protected from the wind and rain. We hope that will keep nectar available through the storm.

We have a lot more hummers the past couple of days, likely 30 here now, all Ruby-throats except for three Selasphorus female type birds. I would have expected a returning male by now but not yet.

One of the staff also reported a pewee calling a few minutes ago. Migrants are starting to stack up I think. They will likely continue to stack up until the forecasted cool front passes late next week.

Enjoy your hurricane party, keep serving those drinks for the hummers.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324