Date: 8/25/17 8:46 am
From: Dan Smith <dan...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Make extra Hummingbird nectar while you still have power
All,
It is not really necessary to boil the water. With enough shaking or stirring, the sugar will dissolve.

Best,

Dan Smith
<dan...> <mailto:<dan...>
512-451-2632
http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com <http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com/>

"Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.” Thomas Jefferson, 1814.

> On Aug 25, 2017, at 9:00 AM, Susan Fortenberry <texas410...> wrote:
>
> Dear Fellow texbirders:
> Please make extra Hummingbird nectar while you still have power.
>
> The morning after Hurricane Ike hit, I saw several humming birds
> frantically searching my flower beds for nectar and I realized that the
> wind and rain had stripped the flowers/nectar from the plants.
>
> I was lucky enough to have the use of a propane grill and hurriedly boiled
> water and made several batches of nectar. I hung several feeders around my
> yard and hungry hummers and hungry bees quickly found the feeders. The
> hummers left one feeder alone and the bees took over that one. I had never
> seen bees swarming a feeder like that before.
>
> This time I have made extra nectar just in case we lose power.
>
> Hopefully Hurricane Harvey will not be as bad as predicted.
>
> Susan Fortenberry
> Sugar Land, TX

> from the List Owner

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds