Date: 8/24/17 5:04 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jswoolf01...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] NH Audubon fall pelagic birding trip
Listfolk,

As usual, this fall Massabesic Audubon Center is organizing a fall
Pelagic Birding expedition. As we have for the last couple of years,
we're going out in early October: Sunday, October 8th to be exact. The
trip plan remains the same as past years:

WHAT: NH Audubon 2017 Fall Pelagic Birding Trip

WHEN: Sunday, October 8th. Meet dockside in Rye Harbor at 7:30AM for an
8:00 departure aboard the MV /Granite State/, with Captain Pete Reynolds
and his expert crew. Steve Mirick will be on the microphone, calling
out birds and any other interesting sightings. We'll spend all day at
sea, searching for birds, whales, and anything else that crosses our
path, and return to harbor around 5pm.

WHAT TO BRING: Binoculars, of course. A digital camera is always a good
idea, as these trips often produce excellent photo opportunities. Bring
a lunch if you like. /Granite State/ has a snack bar aboard that can
provide both cold and hot food and drink, especially coffee and hot
chocolate. Weather on the open water is unpredictable: sometimes hot,
sometimes rather chilly (although given the time of year, 'chilly' is
more likely). Prepare for both. Certainly bring sunscreen, and either
sunglasses or a hat. Bring motion-sickness pills if you're vulnerable
to seasickness. /Granite State/'s seating is mostly wooden benches, so a
seat cushion is a good idea if you have trouble with sitting on hard
surfaces.

WHAT WE MIGHT SEE: Hard to say. Early October on Jeffrey's Ledge is a
'mixed' time of year, with a possibility of lingering summer birds,
early winter birds, fall migrants... Past trips have produced Cory's
and Great shearwaters, Northern Fulmar, Northern Gannet, a Pomarine
Jaeger, a Black-legged Kittiwake, and a wide variety of fall migrants.
Beyond that, your guess is as good as ours!

REGISTRATION: You must register in advance for this trip. We need a
minimum of 30 people to pay for the trip. We've set a maximum of 50 so
that the boat doesn't get too crowded. Cost is $70 for NH Audubon
members, $90 for non-members. Contact Massabesic Audubon Center (phone
603-668-2045, email <mac...>) to sign up. Contact either MAC
or me with any questions you might have.

PELAGIC BIRDS WORKSHOP: To go with the trip, I will be holding a 1-hour
workshop at Massabesic Center on Saturday Oct 7th. This is free to
anyone who has signed up for the trip, and $5 to others. The workshop
discusses the most common pelagic birds and how to identify them. Since
we generally see both whales and birds on these trips, the workshop also
includes information on the common whales of the Gulf of Maine.

My thanks go out to all who have made these trips a success in past
years. I hope to see you again this year ... along with as many new
faces as we can fit!

-- Jon Woolf
Manchester, NH
(Massabesic Audubon Center Volunteer)