Date: 8/24/17 2:21 pm
From: <marshwren50...>
Subject: RE: [MDBirding] Eclipse Birds - Bowie
I also had a flock of swifts as the eclipse was just starting, about 20 of them flying to the east over our yard in Bowie. They kept going, did not perch within my view. The most noticeable avian response to the eclipse was the incessant loud chipping of all the cardinals in our woodlot. They started chipping (like they normally do at dusk) before the eclipse even started, at about 12:50 pm. And they kept going, non-stop, until about 3:30 pm. From time to time, Blue Jays, Carolina Wrens, Carolina Chickadees, and Blue-grey Gnatcatchers added scolding notes to the chipping of the cardinals. And one of our local Red-shouldered Hawks made a few passes over the yard.

Marcia
Marcia Watson
Patuxent Bird Club
A Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society
www.patuxentbirdclub.org

Bowie, MD
<marshwren50...>