Date: 8/23/17 3:58 pm
From: Lynette Leka <lynetteleka...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Drones at Parker River NWR
flying drones over a National Wildlife Refuge is illegal - if available, the identity of the person(s) and/or vehicle (plate number) responsible should be reported (ideally by photo) to any refuge staff or headquarters (979-465-5753) as soon as possible

------------------------------------

Lynette Leka
Newbury, MA 01951
email: <lynette.leka...>

Subject: [MASSBIRD] Drones at Parker River NWR
To: <massbird...>
Date: Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 6:28 PM

Hello Massbirders,

Call me old fashioned, but I really
don’t see the need for the general public to own and play
with drones.  I was birding this afternoon at Parker
River NWR at the Stage Island Pool, at high tide, with a
decent amount of shorebirds feeding and resting in the
area.  All of a sudden, just as I was getting on what I
thought was one of the Baird’s Sandpipers along the near
shore, a drone buzzes the birds and they all fly off.
Hundreds of birds scared into the air as if a Peregrine
Falcon was coming by. The culprits were 2 guys parked in lot
6 and they launched the drone from there.  Either
common sense is long gone or people just don’t care.
A wildlife refuge?  Are you kidding me?

As my bad luck would have it, they
parked right next to my car with my wife inside waiting for
me.  I stated my displeasure but was leery of making a
big scene.  I reported the incident to the main
headquarters on my way out.

Warren Tatro
Peabody, MA
<wtatro...>