Date: 8/23/17 12:38 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island (Parker River Refuge) - 08-23-17

David Moon and I led today's edition of Wednesday Morning Birding out of
Joppa Flats Education Center on to Plum Island with the focus, once
again, on shorebirds.  The weather was great -- skies, partly cloudy;
temps, 74-82F.; winds, NW/10-15 mph.

Our list:
Mallard (~ 20) - mostly juvs; Bill Forward Pool.
Double-crested Cormorant - common; Stage Island Pool & BFP.
Least Bittern (1) - North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Great Blue Heron (1) - BFP.
Great Egret (~ 15) - various.
Snowy Egret (~ 20) - various.
Turkey Vulture (1) - SIP.
Osprey (2) - Pines Trail platform.
Cooper's Hawk (1) - jct PI Tpk & Sunset Dr.
Black-bellied Plover (~ 25) - BFP.
Semipalmated Plover - common; mostly BFP.
Greater Yellowlegs - common.
Lesser Yellowlegs - common.
Ruddy Turnstone (1) - BFP.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common.
Least Sandpiper (2) - 1, SIP; 1, NP from Hellcat dike.
White-rumped Sandpiper (8) - 2, SIP; 6, BFP.
Baird's Sandpiper (1) - SIP.
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 30) - BFP.
Ring-billed Gull (1) - BFP.
Herring Gull (1) - SIP.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Peregrine Falcon (1) - BFP.
Tree Swallow - common.
American Robin (3)
European Starling - common.
American Goldfinch (2)

Please take note, during Wednesdays in August, "Wednesday Evening
Shorebirding" will be conducted out of Joppa Flats, 5:30 until 7:30.
$10 for Mass Audubon members; $12 for nonmembers. Hope to see you there!

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!