Date: 8/23/17 11:29 am
From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...>
Subject: Re: Caliope Hummingbird - Johnson County
My backyard visitor is a juvenile Ruby-throated Hummingbird and not a
Calliope Hummingbird, sorry for the confusion. Thanks to everyone (Mark,
Mick, Tom, and David) that helped ID this bird correctly. A write-up of
the identification using Mark Land's photos can be found in the included
link.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.824048957764496.1073741888.100004781976784&type=1&l=9527fdb94a

Good Birding,

Malcolm Gold (Overland Park, Kansas)

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...>
wrote:

> This morning I had a female/immature Caliope Hummingbird visit the feeders
> in Johnson County. It sat and ate while I noticed the short stubby bill and
> wings slightly longer than the tail. A female/immature Ruby-throated
> Hummingbird came in and chased it around, showing off the short square tail
> of the Caliope and size difference. I sat for half an hour hoping it would
> return to get a picture for documentation of this county record, but no
> luck. PM on FB, text or email me if you want to sit on the back porch and
> hope it returns.
>
> Good Birding,
>
> Malcolm Gold (Overland Park, Kansas)

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html