Date: 8/22/17 2:10 pm
From: Peter Trull <petrull...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Chatham mini-Pelagic
Massbirders,
While some were enjoying a spectacle at race point, six enthusiastic and
excited birders joined me for one of the best small boat, big ocean marine
life spectacles of our own, as we traveled 6 – 8 miles southeast of Chatham
aboard the F/V Kittiwake with Captain Kenny Eldredge. Besides being
surrounded by thousands of great shearwaters all day, with lesser numbers,
but great observations of sooty, cory’s and a half dozen manx, the cetacean
observations were a spectacle unto themselves! Hundreds of Atlantic
white-sided dolphins, some pods with up to 80 individuals, surrounded the
boat at arms length, thrashing and whirling around and below the vessel,
while humpback whales were passing by blessing us with wet faces from their
exhalations! It was a long-term WOW situation. The Atlantic ocean is alive!
Thanks to Captain Kenny and the great folks on board for a great trip. If
you can get offshore for this 4 hr. trip you should.
Peter Trull
Brewster
<petrull...>

Chatham, Barnstable County, MA, US, Barnstable, Massachusetts, US
Aug 22, 2017 10:00 AM - 2:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
16.0 mile(s)
Comments: South east of Chatham, 6 - 8 miles off-shore
19 species

Common Eider 6
Cory's Shearwater 8
Great Shearwater 3500 This count is conservative,
Sooty Shearwater 60 Single birds and groups all day
Manx Shearwater 6
Wilson's Storm-Petrel 220
Northern Gannet 1
Double-crested Cormorant 75