Date: 8/21/17 6:35 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Re: Bar-tailed Godwit report
It appears I have been a victim of cyberspace black hole. At least two people have responded stating ebird alert notification of the godwit on the 17th or 18th. I receive these alerts daily so the report would be the 18th for me. I have checked my inbox and trash and can find no ebird alert email.

Thank you for the responses.

Sorry to distract you.

Glenn

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

> On August 20, 2017 at 9:35 PM Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...> wrote:
>

> I copy an ebird report which shows a Bar-tailed Godwit which did not show up in ebird alerts; I discovered this when Long-tailed Jaeger was on the alert and I clicked on the report. Click on the link and see the images.
>

> Interestingly we had an unidentified godwit which flew by us at Tern Island in Chatham in the glare of the sun and could not properly ID it. We saw it from great distance later and could not properly ID to species. I had put this into ebird as a godwit sp and commented to the person who saw it best it is probably a Hudsonian but we could not rule out Bar- and Black-tailed Godwit (Marbled would be larger than the comparison with the Short-billed Dowitchers which it was flying near).
>

> Long-tailed Jaeger (Stercorarius longicaudus) (1)
> - Reported Aug 17, 2017 06:45 by Alan Kneidel
> - Monomoy NWR, Barnstable, Massachusetts
> - Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=41.5913346,-69.9880211&ll=41.5913346,-69.9880211 http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=41.5913346,-69.9880211&ll=41.5913346,-69.9880211
> - Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38693231 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38693231
> - Media: 4 Photos
> - Comments: "resting on beach and later chasing terns -- combination of unmarked white belly, pale face, slender structure, lack of warm tones support Long-tailed over Parasitic"
>

> On this trip several of us were discussing why reports/records such as these (we were discussing Sharp-shinned Hawk from SE MA) can be hidden by ebird management; if Marshall would be so kind to let us know why the godwit did not show up on the same alert as the jaeger.
>

> Likely this is the same bird seen a couple of month's ago.
>

> Glenn
>

> Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

Join us on Facebook!