Date: 8/20/17 9:15 pm
From: 'Eugene Hunn' <enhunn323...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] RROS/Alvaro's Adventures joint Bodega Bay Pelagic Trip
NiBBers,

We enjoyed quite decent weather offshore out of Bodega Harbor via Bodega
Canyon to the shelf, then south and east across Cordell Banks with Captain
Rick Powers aboard the New Sea Angler.

Lots of birds throughout: highlights included a BROWN BOOBY, two LAYSAN
ALBATROSSES with numerous Black-footeds, high numbers of Pink-footed and
BULLER'S SHEARWATERS, plus the usual Sooties and Northern Fulmars. Four
species of storm-petrels: good numbers of Fork-tailed and Ashy Storm-Petrels
plus a few BLACK and three WILSON'S STORM-PETRELS. We spotted two SOUTH
POLAR SKUAS, including one that circled close over the boat, plus a few
LONG-TAILED JAEGERS and several each of ARCTIC TERNS and SABINE'S GULLS;
many Red Phalaropes; lots of Cassin's Auklets, plus murres, guillemots,
rhinos, one pair of SCRIPP'S MURRELETS (seen briefly), and four TUFTED
PUFFINS. Also noted: lots of Humpback Whales, a distant Blue or two, and
several bow-riding pods of Dall Porpoises. A fine day on the ocean.

Redwood Region Ornithological Society will sponsor two more fall excursions
aboard the New Sea Angler out of Bodega Harbor: September 10 and October 15.
Check the RROS website for details.

Gene Hunn

Petaluma

Join us on Facebook!