Date: 8/20/17 3:20 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jsw...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NHA Fall Pelagic Birding Trip
Listfolk,

As usual, this fall Massabesic Audubon Center is organizing a fall
Pelagic Birding expedition. As we have for the last couple of years,
we're going out in early October: Sunday, October 8th to be exact.
The trip plan remains the same as past years:

WHAT: NH Audubon 2017 Fall Pelagic Birding Trip

WHEN: Sunday, October 8th. Meet dockside in Rye Harbor at 7:30AM for
an 8:00 departure aboard the MV Granite State, with Captain Pete
Reynolds and his expert crew. We'll spend all day at sea, searching
for birds, whales, and anything else that crosses our path, and return
to harbor around 5pm.

WHAT TO BRING: Binoculars, of course. A digital camera is always a
good idea, as these trips often produce excellent photo
opportunities. Bring a lunch if you like. Granite State has a snack
bar aboard that can provide both cold and hot food and drink,
especially coffee and hot chocolate. Weather on the open water is
unpredictable: sometimes hot, sometimes rather chilly (although given
the time of year, 'chilly' is more likely). Prepare for both.
Certainly bring sunscreen, and either sunglasses or a hat. Bring
motion-sickness pills if you're vulnerable to seasickness. Granite
State's seating is mostly wooden benches, so a seat cushion is a good
idea if you have trouble with sitting on hard surfaces.

WHAT WE MIGHT SEE: Hard to say. Early October on Jeffrey's Ledge is a
'mixed' time of year, with a possibility of lingering summer birds,
early winter birds, fall migrants... Past trips have produced Cory's
and Great shearwaters, Northern Fulmar, Northern Gannet, a Pomarine
Jaeger, a Black-legged Kittiwake, and a wide variety of fall
migrants. Beyond that, your guess is as good as ours!

REGISTRATION: You must register in advance for this trip. We need a
minimum of 30 people to pay for the trip. We've set a maximum of 50
so that the boat doesn't get too crowded. Cost is $70 for NH Audubon
members, $90 for non-members. Contact Massabesic Audubon Center
(phone 603-668-2045, email <mac...>) to sign up. Contact
either MAC or me with any questions you might have.

PELAGIC BIRDS WORKSHOP: To go with the trip, I will be holding a
1-hour workshop at Massabesic Center on Saturday Oct 7th. This is
free to anyone who has signed up for the trip, and $5 to others. The
workshop discusses the most common pelagic birds and how to identify
them. Since we generally see both whales and birds on these trips,
the workshop also includes information on the common whales of the
Gulf of Maine.

My thanks go out to all who have made these trips a success in past
years. I hope to see you again this year ... along with as many new
faces as we can fit!

-- Jon Woolf
Manchester, NH
(Massabesic Audubon Center Volunteer)

--
To Change your e-mail delivery settings (digest, daily, no mail)
visit: