Date: 8/12/17 10:51 pm
From: Tim Janzen <tjanzen...>
Subject: [obol] Clatsop Beach update
I spent about 3 Ĺ hours birding on Clatsop Beach late this afternoon and
this evening looking for the White-rumped Sandpiper that Mike Patterson
reported earlier today. I was unsuccessful in relocating it. I ran into
Diana Byrne and we spent about 3 hours birding together. We found a
juvenile FRANKLINíS GULL on the beach about 7/10 mile north of the Sunset
Beach access point. About 1.5 miles north of the Sunset Beach access point
we found a PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER. It was with 5 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS. We
found a total of 6 RUDDY TURNSTONES on the beach at various locations from
the Del Rey access point to about 2 miles north of the Sunset Beach access
point. All but one of the RUDDY TURNSTONES were juveniles. There were
probably at least 2000 shorebirds on the beach between the Del Rey access
point and about 3 miles north of the Sunset Beach access point. The
majority of the shorebirds were SANDERLINGS, but there were also large
numbers of WESTERN SANDPIPERS and about 100 SEMI-PALMATED PLOVERS. We only
saw 2 LEAST SANDPIPERS. Hopefully the White-rumped Sandpiper will be
relocated.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen

Portland