Date: 8/12/17 4:41 pm
From: Bernie Favara <bwf-athl...>
Subject: Re: Shaw Nature Reserve Henslows-8-12
Jean and I spent the day at Shaw as well.  Sorry we missed the Henlow's ( and you ).  We walked right by that pond, but it was late morning.
Our birds of note were a pair of Sedge Wrens in the prairie section south of the wetlands near the sewage treatment lagoon for the Dana Brown Overnight Center and a Spotted Sandpiper on the Gravel Bar.

Thanks!
Bernie FavaraSt. Louis <Countybwf-athl...>
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Mike Brady<00000033e862acc5-dmarc-request...> wrote:
     Pretty lackluster birdwise which I pretty much expected for this time of year

   Mid morning start didn't help. For the most part the birds were quiet and far between out at Shaw Nature Reserve this morn

   Dont get out there as much anymore but the  bird of the morn  . were about a half dozen HENSLOW SPARROWS calling at the bottom (from the prairie overlook) of the prairie trail near the small pond.

 Kind of cool and nostalgic for me because it was probably 20 years ago I remember running into George and Terri Barker who got me on my life Henslows in the same spot at about the same time of year.

  Dont know if others have seen Henslows out there this year(have to check e-bird I guess) but its the first time in a very long while Ive seen them out there again.Know they used to burn that prairie alot which no doubt made conditions less than ideal for Henslows arriving in the spring
 Guessing these birds are no doubt attempting a late summer second brood nesting attempt which is typical of these sparrows.Might be short distant migrants from another area that have recently showed up and found conditions really good

 Other birds of note calling from around the prairie trail were a couple of blue grosbeaks,indigo buntings,a single towhee and a few field sparrows

 Mike Brady Ballwin.MO
<bradymp...>

ABA Birding Code of Ethics

ASM Fall Meeting: September 22-24, 2017 at Lake of the Ozarks Details and Online Registration

mailto:<mobirds-l-request...>
ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Join us on Facebook!