Date: 8/12/17 4:18 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bstn Hlw/Yale Forest, Ashford, 8-9 thru 8-11-17

Birds quieter now, in what is the post-nesting period for most of them,
but still lots around if you look for them. The flocks of Chickadees and
Titmice are very active now, foraging all day, and when you find them they are
pretty noisy too. But the best part is, if you find a sizeable flock there
are almost always other species present too. On Friday along with a lot of
those two I had Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos, Blue Jays, a Downy WP,A
pair of Common Yellowthroats, a White-breasted Nuthatch, 3 B Orioles, a pair
of BG Gnatcatchers, a Robin, several Catbirds, Cedar Waxwings, a male AM
Redstart, and a N. Cardinal. And in the same spot but not with the flock there
was a Broad-winged Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, 2 Turkey Vultures An RT
Hummingbird, Mourning Doves and and E. Wood-pewee.
I also saw one bird I couldn't Id; it looked like a Warbler and had
blackish wings with 2 prominent white wing bars. The top looked kind of light
olive and the breast a lighter grayish or greenish color. Closest I can come
is a female Cerulean, but I don't see that many and have never had any in
that area, so I'm certainly not making that call. Maybe something in winter
plumage or somebody's juvie?
Oh, and 1 other sighting there - the baby porcupine.
Up in Union on Kinney Hollow Rd there is an open spot that is the end of
my normal "route" that has grown up in bull thistles this year, some as tall
as 8 feet. It may be a problem in the future but this year it's
interesting, attracting birds and butterflies. I seen hummers at the flowers and
Goldfinches at the gone-by ones, picking out seeds. Also tiger and black
swallowtails and a few others I don't know.

A few misc. pictures here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5hbehcrfb1cy346/AACNiblHg4EgsrfmqyTRSziDa?dl=0

I'll include Ebird reports for CTBirds in a separate post to ease the size
issue.

Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct