Date: 8/12/17 3:23 pm
From: Irvin Pitts <pittsjam...>
Subject: Re: blue-gray gnatcatcher
Adding to this topic, I had a mini fall-out of blue-gray gnatcatchers in my yard this morning in Lexington SC. They were active and flitting all about, making it difficult to count, but I estimated that 10 to 12 birds were present. Northern parulas and American redstarts are also beginning to move and I saw my first yellow warblers on August 7.

Irvin Pitts

> Gnatcatchers moved in here, as well, in the last week or so; they seem to prefer wetter areas for breeding, and I just wonder what they find useable here, which has a droughty soil, though rains make prey available, I suppose.
>
> I was surprised how difficult it was to see a nonmoving gnatcatcher in a bare-limbed dead tree, the long tail and bill making the bird look like a twig; since eyegnats (Hippelates) are more annoying since the rains, I guess there are gnats on dead trees, if they can fly into a nonliving automobile, as they do, to plague us. By contrast, mosquitoes have not been bad here. The eyegnats probably are worse here due to accumulations of humus from old chicken litter which gets dragged or driven out of the broiler houses from time to time, then the soluble salts get washed out and one is left with the humus used by larval eyegnats.
>

> I WOULD CALL THESE LOCAL, PREMIGRATORY MOVEMENTS. Still waiting for the accumulation of White-eyed Vireos which sing here in August-September but do not breed here on these 6 acres.
>
> Of course, I do not control the votes to determine whether to call this migration or local movements.
>

> Thrashers could be another bone of contention. Merrill Lynch repeatedly states they breed and winter here. But they breed right here, and right now are not right here, and may well not be here in winter, except down in thicketier places (where they are in evidence with their threatening callnotes "roaar" morning and evening, even if not so visible)---just remembered I am distorting reality, one often is regular near my feeders trying to peck a hole in the ground in dead of winter---still, there is a change in local or micro- habitat, thrashers being more in evident in open in summer, and retreating to wetter, denser stuff in winter.
>

> Got thrashers?
>

> Frank Enders, Halifax, NC

Join us on Facebook!