Date: 8/11/17 6:00 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] The star of Boston Hollow's Petting Zoo.
As I was walking up and down a back road in Boston Hollow today, trying to
follow a little flock of birds, I kept hearing a quiet rustling in the
bushes. I figured it wasn't big enough to be a bear so I didn't investigate.
it went on for quite a while, and after a half hour or so I heard it right
beside me, so I looked. And here is what I found, right at the edge of the
road:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h7v70rdou3whhpz/AAAdJ7Trg84Lziz-KpBC6c3-a?dl=0

When I first saw it my reaction was, "who the heck are you?" But when I
got a look at the face, I knew. The tiny little animal is less than a foot
long and it can barely walk, although it can climb, a little. It has some
sort of a mass on the top of it's tail, and I don't know whether it's part of
the animal or some debris; perhaps lichen and such. It was at the bottom of
a steep embankment, probably 7 feet high or more, and I think the noise I
heard was the little guy slowly negotiating his way down. Why, or for that
matter, where he came from, I have no idea. I do know he seems very young
and helpless to be away from his mother.
When he saw me looking down at him he turned and started making his way
back up the bank, moving painfully slowly. But he did make the top. It's so
steep I had to go around and come from the back to keep up with him. He just
tried to hide at first but there wasn't much cover, so he headed for the
nearest maple tree. And amazingly, started climbing. He actually got about 10
feet up, then started backing down. At that point I left, feeling guilty
that I might be keeping him from his mother. Unfortunately, I never saw any
sign of her though, and if she's not around I fear for him. If anyone's
still wondering, it's a porcupine.

Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct