Date: 8/8/17 11:57 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: gray and/or dusky empids
Darrel,
I have no idea what post (from when) you are referring to, or if it is me you are referencing. If it's something that you think I wrote then I would at least appreciate the courtesy of a correctly placed apostrophe. Sorry, but seeing "Iron's" is a major pet peeve. Given that I've seen Gray Flycatchers with green backs, I doubt that I would have written that they don't have green backs.

Dave Irons

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 8, 2017, at 12:04 PM, "<5hats...><mailto:<5hats...>" <5hats...><mailto:<5hats...>> wrote:

It interested me to see Iron's post that Gray Flycather would not show a greenish back. How about plain gray? Years ago on October 10 at Thornton Creek, long before there was good info regarding empids, and long before I developed such minimal expertise as I now have in identifying them, I saw one which was plain mouse gray above and white with no hint of yellow below, only a bit of a gray vest broken in the center by white. It had a pretty obvious eye-ring. Otherwise I saw no other significant field marks, and I never saw the bird move its tail. I wrote it off at the time as empid sp., but I'm wondering these many years later what comments might be forthcoming from others concerning an empid in such plumage.

Darrel

Join us on Facebook!