Date: 8/8/17 7:02 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Information On The 3 Waukegan Piping Plovers
Hello Again Bird People,

Although I have already done 1 report today I just rec'd some info
from the Piping Plover organization which may be of some interest to
those who check leg bands & are curious about where the migrant Piping
Plovers originated. The 3 Waukegan Piping Plovers were 2 juveniles & 1
adult. Here's that information:

Juvenile #1

Arrived on Wed 7-26-17 & originally was hanging around on the main
swimming beach after being seen flying along the lake from north to
south.

Leg Bands:

Right Leg has a silver F&W band at the top & a green band at the bottom
Left Leg has no band at the top & an orange band at the bottom

This juvenile was hatched this Summer at Silver Lake State Park in Michigan

Juvenile #2

First seen by me on Wed 8-2-17 but was seen by other Lake County
birders a day or 2 earlier.
This bird seemed to prefer to hang around on the fisherman's pier &
the nearby beach going north.

Leg Bands:

Right Leg has a silver F&W band at the top & a blue band with #16 on
it at the bottom
Left Leg has no band at the top & an orange band with a red dot at the bottom

This juvenile was hatched this Summer at Muskegon State Park in Michigan

(Note that both juveniles have the same band pattern with the only
difference being the band on the bottom right leg where one has a
green band & the other a blue band.)

Adult

This bird arrived on Friday afternoon 8-4-17 & as far as I know was
only seen by Tim Wallace who got photos of it as well as of all 3
Piping Plovers together. Also, as far as I know this adult was a one
day wonder & was not seen again. This Plover still had the adult black
breast band & black on the head. Lots of bands on this guy!

Leg Bands

Right Leg has an orange band at the top, a blue band in the middle &
another orange band at the bottom
Left Leg has the silver F&W band at the top, a yellow band in the
middle & no band at the bottom.

(Note that when adults return for nesting they get additional bands
which is why this one has more bands than the 2 juveniles.)

This adult was hatched in 2014 Gulliver, Michigan & began breeding in
2016 at Grand Marais, MI
so he's been around a while.

That's all the info I have & I find all this stuff pretty interesting!
Perhaps some of you will too.
Keep your eyes open to see if you can re-find any of these Plovers as
they move south.

Al Stokie (Watcher of Piping Plovers)

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: