Date: 8/7/17 7:10 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bstn Hlw/Yale Forest, Ashford, Sunday, 8-6-17; Good day for raptors
This post seems to have fallen through the cracks, so I'm trying again.

A good wind early brought more raptors than usual, including 2 Bald
Eagles, heading north. Unfortunately this has been a bad year for raptors overall
and I'm wondering if the windmills are making a noticeable difference in
the populations now. If not I'm sure they soon will. I think my sightings
have been down about 50% overall, especially Turkey Vultures, which would be
easy targets for fast-moving blades.
I did get a good chance to try out a new camera with a cooperative adult
Broad-wing sitting in a tree.
The flocks of Titmice and Chickadees seem bigger and louder now than they
have been, and it's a good time to be watching them closely. Nothing
special but 1 flock yesterday had a Hairy Woodpecker and a WB Nuthatch in with
it.

BW pics and a few bonus shots here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/egrwduojxsvjl0r/AAC4Fc5iapctMoUHFfaVQNYXa?dl=0

Aug 6, 2017 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.5 mile(s)
30 species

Turkey Vulture 7
Bald Eagle 2 1 looked like a sub-adult, couldn't tell the other but
was not an adult. Traveling together.
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 4 2 flying, 1 in tree (pics) and BH juvie still
howling for momma in woods
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1 Good look. Traveling with a flock of Titmice and
Chicadees
Eastern Wood-Pewee 3
Eastern Phoebe 3
Blue-headed Vireo 6
Red-eyed Vireo 7
Blue Jay 10
American Crow 3 N end of BH. Wouldn't be there when the ravens were
nesting
Tree Swallow 6
Black-capped Chickadee 25
Tufted Titmouse 15
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
House Wren 1
Hermit Thrush 2
American Robin 4
Gray Catbird 4
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Pine Warbler 1
Black-throated Green Warbler 9
Chipping Sparrow 4
Eastern Towhee 2
Scarlet Tanager 1 Tic-bur-ing
Northern Cardinal 3
American Goldfinch 13 nest on Kinney hollow empty, no sign of an adult.
Maybe victim of the weather

View this checklist online at

Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct