Date: 8/6/17 7:28 pm
From: Ian Devlin via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bridled Tern Last Seen
Around 3pm today I lost sight of the Tern flying off island and out of sight to the east. I'm not sure if it left for good, or just went for food further out. I had my last trip from 4pm until 8pm, but did not see the bird. Two of my three trips had great viewings of the bird. Of the nearly dozen different trips I took, three were trips we didn't see the bird. The other trips has fantastic views of the Bridled Tern.

I was able to get many folks out to see this highly unusual to the area Bridled Tern, a lifer for many (including myself). Let's keep our fingers crossed that it is healthy and fit for a long and safe flight home to where it belongs. I think it needs to turn 90° to starboard from its last heading, and head 1200 miles that way, though. Maybe we will get a last chance to view it this coming week.

Faulkner's Island is a special place. I loved seeing the various normal tern species, as well as various shorebirds too. I'm glad Cédric and his team are on the island conducting research. Kudos to him for spotting the bird in he first place!

I want to thank everyone who booked trips with me over the last seven days to go to the island and see the Tern. I also want to thank those that advertised me to take people to see the bird. Very good to meet new people, see folks I know already, and enjoy some birding by boat. I hope to do more of these in the near future, rare bird or not. There are many places to see only accessible by boat, and I would like to show you some nice places to go with a friend or two in either my canoe or skiff.

Capt. Ian Devlin
East Norwalk, CT.

Sent from my iPhone