Date: 8/6/17 5:32 pm
From: G M ARCHAMBAULT via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Bird Tape for bird window strikes
I use red (and have used yellow) electrical tape from Lowe's or Home Depot.  It is colored on both sides (verify this before you buy it!), and I attach it to the INSIDE of the glass, where weather won't affect it.  I create an "asterisk / starburst" pattern about 8 inches across, using strips and cutting the ends at an angle to make a point, for better aesthetics.  They are rather attractive and long-lasting.  Two years ago, I switched from red to yellow when I couldn't find yellow tape any more.  One need not use too many -- for a floor to ceilling window 2-feet wide, I use but two of these homemade designs, which have effectively put an end to fatal window strikes.  Cooper's and Broad-winged Hawks still occasionally cause panicked birds to collide with the windows, but they are much better able to slow down at the last second, putting an end to serious strikes.
The colored electrical tape leaves no residue, in my experience, and it is very inexpensive.  I like being able to make my own design, too. -Ken Archambault, Birmingham, Alabama

On Sunday, August 6, 2017 7:18 PM, John D Babington via CTBirds <ctbirds...> wrote:

Noted a complaint about UV stickers not working for bird strikes on windows. I highly recommend Bird Tape from the American Bird Conservancy. Bird Tape is also very reasonable in cost. One does have to put Bird Tape up fairly close together to be effective for bird strikes. Bird Tape also lasts a lot longer.
David W BabingtonWashington, CT