Date: 8/5/17 6:41 pm
From: Clifford Cathers <cacathers...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ:08/05/17:TAS Trip Santa Catalina Mountains
I led the Tucson Audubon Society field trip into the Santa Catalina
Mountains this warmish morning, though the temperature at the top of the
range was south of 60 F and quite pleasant. Incinerator Ridge was the star
location but we stopped at the top above Ski Valley, Sykes Knob, Loma
Linda, Bear Canyon and a few other quickie spots. Other than Incinerator
Ridge, things were a bit sparse.

Without significant details, we saw RED-FACED WARBLERs at unbelievably
close distances, OLIVE WARBLERs (all youngsters and females), one
VIRGINIA'S WARBLER (at the top of a spruce above ski valley), one AUDUBON'S
WARBLER, several GRACE'S WARBLERs, 1 BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER, 1
TOWNSEND'S WARBLER, lots of close up PAINTED REDSTARTs and a good number of
HERMIT WARBLERs with a few males in breeding plumage.

Other birds spotted during our trip included ZONE-TAILED HAWK, BAND-TAILED
PIGEON, GREATER PEWEEs, PLUMBEOUS VIREOs, HUTTON'S VIREOs, scads of
MOUNTAIN CHICKADEEs, WESTERN BLUEBIRDs, lots of BROWN CREEPERs and PYGMY
NUTHATCHes and a few other common species.

A good day in the mountains with a fun group.

Clifford A. Cathers
<AZCiffy...>
Vail, AZ