Date: 8/4/17 3:01 pm
From: Tiffany Manger <77trinket...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Lost Creek Gulls
Hi all. I relocated the juvenile (??) Franklin's Gull today. It was kind
enough to fly directly over me while calling, and then land ~50' away! My
pics aren't all that great, but they still serve their purpose for
identification and validation.

The dark gull that Norm and Gary found yesterday is still there, and I
agree with Norm in his initial identification of a 1st summer Herring Gull.
The reason I think this is because the head shape is smooth, whereas my
Sibley's says a Western Gull's head is "rounded with peak over eye and a
sloped rear crown". Plus it looks like it has a large gape. The legs (which
you can't see) were pinkish/grayish.

I ALSO located what I believe to be an adult and a juvenile Western Gull!
Unfortunately, I've decided I did not get a good enough look at the adult
to be 100%. I did get a couple of pictures of the juvenile and am hoping
someone can help me verify the identification......or tell me why my ID is
incorrect.

I attached a collage of the two dark gulls. The two on the top are what I
think is a Herring Gull, and the two on the bottom are what I think is a
Western Gull. I saw both of these birds at the same time and within 10' of
each other. They were pretty similar in size.

I still have much to learn with gull identification - especially with
juvenile/subadult plumage. I realize that I may not be correct in either of
my ID's, but would love to get feedback from anyone who is willing.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Tiffany