Date: 8/4/17 7:37 am
From: Pamela Johnston <pamelaj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Juvenile Goldern-crowned Kinglets
I once saw Golden-crowned Kinglets ground feeding in a flock, but like
Robert's observation, it was in very cold and windy weather in late
December.

Pamela Johnston

On Aug 4, 2017 12:14 AM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

this might be an off-the-wall response but I have seen the
same behavior in golden-crowned Kinglets, feeding on the ground
among the grass in a very tame fashion
but usually in the winter during extremely cold periods. this of
course is the opposite temperature extreme. hmmmm?
Bob O'Brien

On Thursday, August 3, 2017, <Bigrocketman...> wrote:

> For the past two days, there have been a couple dozen
Golden-crowned Kinglets going through the trees and shrubs in my
yard. I have large Douglas firs overhead, sword ferns, indian
plums and many other shrubs below. They appear to be mostly or
entirely juveniles, as none have any markings on top of the head
and just a small, black stripe across the eye. Some have a lighter
shade of grey on the head and neck. At times, they formed tight
groups on the ground, hunting insects in the grass and several did
begging displays with wings outstretched. They seemed fearless and
I could approach within 10 feet and cause no alarm. I'm located
just a short distance from fir-covered foothills, at the Southern
end of the Willamette Valley.