Date: 8/3/17 6:12 pm
From: Jeanie Joppru <ajjoppru...>
Subject: [mou-net] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, August 3, 2017
This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, August 3, 2017
sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also
hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

The heat has finally diminished in the northwest and elsewhere in Minnesota.
Yards in the far northwest still need more rain, but the damp day yesterday
did help.

Alma Ronningen in Grant County reported that two young OSPREY from the
nearby nest in the Elbow Lake area have started to fly. CHIMNEY SWIFTS have
nested in the Maplewood Lutheran Church chimney again this year. Species
seen in her yard in Dent included RED-EYED VIREO, EASTERN PHOEBE, HOUSE
WREN, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, AMERICAN REDSTART,
and YELLOW WARBLER. At the N. Ottawa impoundment, the BLACK-NECKED STILTS
were seen as recently as August 2. A BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON was spotted
on August 2 also. On July 30, a good selection of shorebirds could be found
there, and WESTERN GREBES, EARED GREBES, RUDDY DUCKS, BLACK TERNS, and
WESTERN KINGBIRD were seen there. Four GREAT HORNED OWLS were found on
July 30 along the roads in the area.

From Todd County, Alex Sundvall reported a CLARK'S GREBE on Lake Osakis on
July 28.

A SNOW GOOSE is still present at the East Grand Forks WTP as reported by
Sandy Aubol on August 1.

In Pennington County, Shelley Steva reported two COMMON RAVENS and a
COOPER'S HAWK in the city of Thief River Falls on August 2. Here at our
feeder east of the city, we now have PINE SISKINS and HOUSE FINCHES.

Shelley and I went to western Polk County on the afternoon of July 30 where
we found 4 BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS at the Warren WTP as reported earlier
by Sandy Aubol. At that location and the Agassiz impoundment, we found a
total of 12 species of shorebirds that day. There could have been others
that we did not identify at the impoundment which was very busy.

In Roseau County on July 28, I had the unusual experience of listening to
the singing of both a HERMIT THRUSH and an INDIGO BUNTING simultaneously.
The location was at the interface with the recently logged off area burned
year before last, and the standing live pine trees. It was an interesting
example of how habitat influences which birds are there.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at <ajjoppru...> <mailto:<ajjoppru...>
OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992.
Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county
where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is
Thursday, August 10, 2017.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN

----