Date: 8/3/17 5:07 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Mystery song
I had the same thought about a juvie White-crowned Sparrow. It is a very loud strong song, more like a robust sparrow or large wren or bunting than like many warblers. Assuming the singing bird is what flew out of the treetop, White-crown seems possible.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>

Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 5:00 PM, Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...> wrote:
>
> Hello Skip and Paul,
>
> This is an intriguing vocalization. I am similairly perplexed by the identify of this bird.
>
> After putting in some headphones and turning the volume WAY up, I can hear a two note series that proceeds each of the main song flurries (sans the second vocalization that sounds like an aborted snippet of the first vocalization).
>
> These two notes are rather soft, and higher in pitch than the rest of the notes. They are very remenicsent of how Song Sparrows begin their song. However, what follows those two notes is very un-Song-Sparrow-like.
>
> Could this perhaps be an aberrant, juvenile Song Sparrow still learning its song? That's my best guess. Would love to hear what others think.
>
> Best,
> -Nick Mrvelj
>
> On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 2:28 PM Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...> <mailto:<paultsullivan...>> wrote:
> Hi Skip,
>

> I don’t know what this is off the top of my head. However, I would quibble with your description of a 4 quick & 2 slow cadence. Listening to it and looking at the sonogram, I hear/see a 3 quick & 3 slow cadence. I don’t know if that helps.
>

> My first thought was MacGillivray’s Warbler because they do a 3 high & 2 low song, which can vary. I once chased a mystery singer at Ladd Marsh by LaGrande. It was doing a weird song over and over. When I finally saw it, it was a MacGillivray’s.
>

> Another thought: Hermit Warblers songs can end on a down-slurred “SEE-unk, SEE-unk.” The ending of your mystery song sounds like that to me.
>

> Paul Sullivan
>

> (101 in McMinnville, with 2.5 hrs to go on the afternoon. Yesterday my porch hit 111 degrees)
>

> -----------------
>
> Subject: Mystery song
> Date: Thu Aug 3 2017 14:43 pm
> From: skipr AT teleport.com <http://teleport.com/>
>

> While birding at Ridgefield NWR, I heard a song I couldn't place. I
>

> posted it as a mystery on xeno-canto, but so far no takers.
>

> You can hear it here:
>

> http://www.xeno-canto.org/3814... <http://www.xeno-canto.org/381431>
>

> That's "www.xeno-canto.org/381431 <http://www.xeno-canto.org/381431>" in case the link gets garbled in
>

> translation. Weird song of an expected local or something lost? The
>

> only birds I can think of are tropical and not really candidates.
>

> I'm wondering if this rings a bell with anyone out there in obol-land?
>

> Happy birding,
>

> Skip
>

> --
>

> Skip Russell