Date: 8/3/17 5:00 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Mystery song
Hello Skip and Paul,

This is an intriguing vocalization. I am similairly perplexed by the
identify of this bird.

After putting in some headphones and turning the volume WAY up, I can hear
a two note series that proceeds each of the main song flurries (sans the
second vocalization that sounds like an aborted snippet of the first
vocalization).

These two notes are rather soft, and higher in pitch than the rest of the
notes. They are very remenicsent of how Song Sparrows begin their song.
However, what follows those two notes is very un-Song-Sparrow-like.

Could this perhaps be an aberrant, juvenile Song Sparrow still learning its
song? That's my best guess. Would love to hear what others think.

Best,
-Nick Mrvelj

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 2:28 PM Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
wrote:

> Hi Skip,
>

> I don’t know what this is off the top of my head. However, I would
> quibble with your description of a 4 quick & 2 slow cadence. Listening to
> it and looking at the sonogram, I hear/see a 3 quick & 3 slow cadence. I
> don’t know if that helps.
>

> My first thought was MacGillivray’s Warbler because they do a 3 high & 2
> low song, which can vary. I once chased a mystery singer at Ladd Marsh by
> LaGrande. It was doing a weird song over and over. When I finally saw it,
> it was a MacGillivray’s.
>

> Another thought: Hermit Warblers songs can end on a down-slurred
> “SEE-unk, SEE-unk.” The ending of your mystery song sounds like that to me.
>

> Paul Sullivan
>

> (101 in McMinnville, with 2.5 hrs to go on the afternoon. Yesterday my
> porch hit 111 degrees)
>

> -----------------
>
> *Subject: Mystery song*
> Date: Thu Aug 3 2017 14:43 pm
> From: skipr AT teleport.com
>

> While birding at Ridgefield NWR, I heard a song I couldn't place. I
>
> posted it as a mystery on xeno-canto, but so far no takers.
>

> You can hear it here:
>

> *http://www.xeno-canto.org/3814...* <http://www.xeno-canto.org/381431>
>

> That's "www.xeno-canto.org/381431" in case the link gets garbled in
>
> translation. Weird song of an expected local or something lost? The
>
> only birds I can think of are tropical and not really candidates.
>

> I'm wondering if this rings a bell with anyone out there in obol-land?
>

> Happy birding,
>
> Skip
>

> --
>
> Skip Russell