Date: 8/2/17 2:07 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island - 08-02-2017
Joppa Flats Education Center's Wednesday Morning Birding program was in

session once again following its July hiatus. David Moon and I led an
enthusiastic group on to Plum Island and the Parker River National
Wildlife Refuge focusing on shorebirds. We spent the first hour or so
ensconced in the Bill Forward Pool blind watching a number of shorebirds
fueling up for their migration south. Apologies to Paul Roberts for our
invasion of his quiet observation post and many thanks to him for
sharing some of his sightings, including the continuing HUDSONIAN GODWIT
and several Stilt Sandpipers.

Our list:
Canada Goose
Mute Swan (1) - main panne.
Mallard - common -- mostly juvs.
Green-winged Teal (4) - small pannes.
Double-crested Cormorant (~ 25)
Great Blue Heron (10) - various.
Great Egret (4)
Snowy Egret - common.
Green Heron (1) - fly-by, w. to e., n. end main panne.
Glossy Ibis (1) - fly-by, n. end Stage Island Pool, heading w.
Osprey (2) - vicinity of Hellcat. [(1) - Joppa Park boat ramp.]
Black-bellied Plover - common; Bill Forward Pool.
Semipalmated Plover - common; BFP.
Killdeer (2) - 1, BFP; 1, n. end main panne.
Spotted Sandpiper (3) - 1, SIP; 2, main panne.
Greater Yellowlegs (~ 7) - various.
Willet (3) - marsh, main panne.
Lesser Yellowlegs (1) - n. end main panne.
Hudsonian Godwit (1) - BFP.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common; BFP.
White-rumped Sandpiper (1) - BFP.
Stilt Sandpiper (4) - BFP.
Short-billed Dowitcher - common; BFP.
[Bonaparte's Gull (~ 25) - JP boat ramp.]
[Ring-billed Gull - common; JP boat ramp.]
[Herring Gull - common; JP boat ramp.]
Least Tern - common; various.
Common Tern (5) - SIP, main panne.
Mourning Dove
Eastern Kingbird - common.
Blue Jay (1)
Purple Martin (~ 10) - lot #1.
Tree Swallow - common.
Barn Swallow - common.
Black-capped Chickadee (1) - shrubs, main panne.
American Robin - common.
Gray Catbird (4)
Northern Mockingbird (3)
European Starling - common; many flocks of juvs.
Cedar Waxwing - common.
Yellow Warbler (1)
Eastern Towhee (3)
Savannah Sparrow (2) - n. main panne. [(2) - JP boat ramp.]
Song Sparrow (~ 5) - singing.
Bobolink (1) - North Field.
Red-winged Blackbird (1) - North Field.
Common Grackle (~ 25)
House Finch (1) - roadside, main panne.
American Goldfinch - common.
House Sparrow

Please take note, during Wednesdays in August, "Wednesday Evening
Shorebirding" will be conducted out of Joppa Flats, 5:30 until 7:30.
$10 for Mass Audubon members; $12 for nonmembers. Hope to see you there!

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!