Date: 8/1/17 6:30 pm
From: Douglas Beach via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge
For two weeks last March and April, Shirley and I birded South Texas, from Austin to the Rio Grande. Our last afternoon in Weslaco happened to be during the final round of The Masters Golf Tournament. As virtually my entire career was spent in the golf industry, I NEVER miss the final round of The Masters. But this year was different. It made no sense for us to spend our final hours along the Rio Grande watching golf in a hotel room. So we headed over to Santa Ana NWR. We spent several hours in the stifling heat, scanning the sky, and hoping beyond hope that a Zone-tailed Hawk would pass overhead. But by 7:00 p.m., we were spent; no hawk and no Masters Tournament. Slowly and forlornly we trudged our way back to the parking lot, wondering out-loud if this gorgeous park would ever be the same if a border wall were built. And then, incredibly, just as we reached the dike near the Visitors' Center, a pair of Hook-billed Kites buzzed right over our heads and into the adjacent forest.

Doug Beach
Simsbury

Sent from my iPad