Date: 8/1/17 2:30 pm
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: fire on coast
Both of you are correct. The road is called Baker Beach. And there
is a Sutton Beach access too. But it's the same beach. The south end
is Sutton Creek just north of Driftwood motel, and the northern end ends
at Heceta Head. The Baker Beach portion is the north end, but there
is no official beginning and end to either beach. We call it Sutton
Beach for the plover project, but our team will use the term Baker Beach
too, especially if we are talking about the north access.

Cheers
Dave

On 8/1/2017 10:52 AM, Alan Contreras wrote:
> The road is called Baker Beach Rd. so that's the name lots of people use. There is a separate access a couple of miles south that goes to the mouth of Sutton Creek.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

>> On Aug 1, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Joel Geier <joel.geier...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was confused by the initial mention of Baker Beach, so I appreciate
>> Dave Lauten's clarification that this is the same place that I've long
>> thought of as Sutton Beach.
>>
>> Can confirm, I've seen Snowy Plovers on just about every visit during
>> nesting season (though that's a small sample), going back to 1998. As of
>> 2006 there were signs identifying the upper beach as a plover nesting
>> area.
>>
>> I'd guess that any plovers there aren't at much risk from the fire,
>> considering their habitat preference. Fire suppression activities could
>> perhaps pose a threat.
>>
>> Good birding,
>> Joel
>>

>> Dave Lauten wrote:
>>
>> Baker/Sutton Beach is an actual Snowy Plover nesting area, albeit one
>>
>> that is not as busy as others, but nonetheless, a nesting site......
>>

>> --
>> Joel Geier
>> Camp Adair area north of Corvallis
>>

>> POST: Send your post to <obol...>