Date: 8/1/17 8:51 am
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Tucson Migration morning flight 29-31 July 2017
Hi Donna, this is a good question. In the case of birds in the east, and
some of the birds in the Tucson area, they are migrants and not breeders so
we know they are 'on the move'. The most prominent species in morning
flight where I live in Massachusetts will be thrushes (largely Swainson's)
and Blackpoll Warblers; these are clearly migrants. Also, we'll often bird
locations out on the water, so any passerine out there has definitely been
on the move and is looking for more suitable habitat. Timing will also
help provide clues--this phenomenon does not regularly occur outside of
migration with the exception of a few notable examples (the movement of
Chipping Sparrows in Colorado post-breeding, for example)

Hope this helps a bit!

Best,

Tim