Date: 8/1/17 8:16 am
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Tucson Migration morning flight 29-31 July 2017
Hi Brian, AZNM readers:

The subject of 'morning flight' is fascinating. I love this discussion.
Us eastern birders (I live in Massachusetts) can often see and hear
hundreds/thousands of migrants if the day and location are right. It is
encouraging also this phenomenon is being detected in the west. I am
looking forward to other reports this fall as more folks are interested!

I will note on a couple of my birding trips to SE AZ that I detected a fair
bit of morning flight. I hope some other folks might chime in and maybe
try the locations where I have had success:

1) Mt. Hopkins road, at the observatory gate. (around the 13km post).
There is an open area up here where when facing south, Josephine Canyon is
on the left, and Montosa Canyon is on the right. I had a good spring day
when migrants were selecting which of these canyons they'd use for the
day. I suspect this spot would be very, very good in the fall, and perhaps
spectacular in the event of a little fog or rain. The eBird checklist is
here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S29375435

2) Proctor Road, Madera Canyon. Rather surprisingly (to me) one late April
morning at Proctor Road produced a big flight of sparrows, tanagers, and
orioles coming up the creek bed from the desert. I had the feeling the
birds were out over the desert when the sun came up and flew uphill to the
water and deciduous trees they could see in Madera Canyon. This flight
included several hundred Lark and Chipping Sparrows, and also a dozen or so
tanagers, grosbeaks, and orioles. I suspect monitoring this area could be
useful in the future, too.

I imagine there are other spots, and perhaps more productive spots, than
the ones I've listed here. I'd love to get out this fall and poke around
for more productive locations to observe this phenomenon!

Best,

Tim Spahr
Massachusetts