Date: 7/31/17 8:39 pm
From: Richard Webster <webster.re...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Green Kingfisher, Painted Buntings at San Bernardino NWR; Whitewater report
Hi Folks:

On 31 July at San Bernardino NWR, I saw about 10 Painted Buntings at
scattered locations throughout, including two at Slaughter Ranch; about
half adult males, but also my first juveniles so far this year. And one
more in desert scrub in the Perilla Mtns.

The same, or a similar-looking, Green Kingfisher was now at House Pond, the
main pond at Slaughter Ranch.

San Bernardino NWR is open 365 days of the year to walk-in visitors during
daylight hours. Slaughter Ranch (check website) is open Wed-Sun 10-3
(fee). Both are reached 14-15 miles E of Douglas on Geronimo Trail (15th
Street).

On the evening of 30 July I found SW's previously reported shorebird
habitat at Whitewater Draw to be duck habitat, with (understandably) very
few ducks yet. Whitewater Draw is almost completely full, with water still
flowing under Davis Road. A big muddy mess that is bad news in some ways
in the short run, but good news in the short run for dragonflies, toads,
spadefoot toads, and Swainson's Hawks (eating things forced up by the
flood), and good news in the long run for the winter crane (and duck and
goose etc.) season (assuming too much water is not let out as in one recent
year . . .). I saw a few shorebirds in far corners, but not many, a
Solitary Sandpiper in the inner pond at the south entrance the best. There
was a male Painted Bunting with a few Lazulis in flooded, seeding grass in
the main lake along the dike between it and the inner pond near the
north/northeast corner of that dike. Black-bellied Whistling-Duck(s) were
heard during the night. A lovely spot, but a challenge to bird.

Richard

Richard Webster
<webster.re...>