Date: 7/29/17 7:07 am
From: David Ranney <dave...>
Subject: Re: there's still a Loggerhead Shrike in N. Durham
After two previous unsuccessful attempts I was encouraged by Scott Winton’s report to try again for the Loggerhead Shrike this morning. This time I was able to find it when it popped up in the lower branches of the dead tree across the road from the pond. It perched there for about a minute before flying off to the East.

-David Ranney
-Durham, NC

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 2:25 PM, Scott Winton (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> I wanted to visit a friend in Bahama, so I dropped by the location of the previously seen Loggerhead Shrike on S. Lowell Road this morning.
>
> I parked at the intersection of Hopkins Rd and began walking toward the pond without very high expectations. To my surprise within two minutes the shrike flew into the top of a partially dead cedar tree by the roadside. It sat there for a couple minutes and then flew away and I could not relocate it.
>
> After doing several years of Christmas and spring bird counts in this area, I had always hoped to find one of these shrikes. Since it's apparently been faithful to this spot for the past 5 years I guess I wasn't looking hard enough!
>
> --
> R. Scott Winton, PhD
> Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__rscottwinton.wordpress.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=sbCmW3Q-LT7mA5P4fm-9jWjtr7zlm5X5feKPkJJnAp8&s=Dken3bVGio1vNssKHr6jSgxM22JCN_trvGyrr-qUEpE&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__rscottwinton.wordpress.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=VazQ9XynyUXwTGzVxwtj3Hb-C6Hk3j05ndLYPnroKtM&s=ynQujj7zSKNqQoMq3BQMwzESBRkT64V4C4L6D8HsA0o&e=>
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__scottsup.blogspot.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=VazQ9XynyUXwTGzVxwtj3Hb-C6Hk3j05ndLYPnroKtM&s=eT-jUxulsTOp24HFNUIYkWU0t7A-TaEUKZVI6o0DoxI&e=>

Join us on Facebook!