Date: 7/28/17 12:51 pm
From: Conrad, Tiffany <TConrad...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Gene Stratton-Porter Monthly Bird Survey Aug. 3rd
The Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site is conducting a base line survey on 80 acres of former farm land in Rome City, Indiana. The information will be used to reference against once the land is restored to wetland and prairie grassland. Monthly surveys of the land will be compiled for 5 years and submitted to the Indiana Academy of Science discussing the impact of the restoration of the land and the increased diversity of bird species. We are in the last year of the study and have already began compiling data. We have increased our species count from seven on the first count to over 100 different species seen during these surveys. We are excited about the progress being made, even before the plantings. We are looking forward to seeing what else visits us through the season.

The survey will be taking place in the farm fields to the west of the Gene Stratton-Porter main property, with 5 specific locations in the fields as survey points. We will meet at the Carriage House Visitor's Center at the Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site at 7:00 a.m. on Thursday August 3rd . We are located at 1205 Pleasant Point, Rome City, IN 46784. If you have any questions please contact the site naturalist, Tiffany, at 260.854.3790.

This is a monthly survey that occurs on the first Thursday of each month (also the third Thursday during peak migratory months), weather permitting.

NEXT SURVEY: September 7th at 7:30 a.m.

Tiffany Conrad
Interpretive Naturalist
Gene Stratton-Porter SHS