Date: 7/28/17 9:06 am
From: Chris Rimmer <crimmer...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Mansfield update
VCE hit the weather jackpot on our long-term Mansfield ridgeline study site
earlier this week. Skies were clearing as we arrived on Tuesday evening,
temperatures were pleasantly cool, and not a breath of wind stirred the fir
trees. We and our several visitors were treated to a spectacular sunset,
which more than made up for a nearly non-existent dusk chorus. Morning
brought more of the same, with the all-too-rare calm providing excellent
netting conditions. By morning's end, we had captured a total of 57 birds,
the great majority of which were free-flying birds in either full juvenal
plumage or transitioning from juvenal to first basic (winter) plumage. A
number of adults were in early stages of flight feather molt, a sure sign
that the breeding season is winding down. As usual in late July, a few
non-local birds appeared from lower-elevation habitats.

Our capture totals:

Black-capped Chickadee 1 adult female
Golden-crowned Kinglet 6 all free-flying birds in juvenal plumage
Bicknell's Thrush 9 2 free-flying juveniles, 2 new yearling females, 5
recaptures (3 males, 2 females)
Swainson's Thrush 2 free-flying birds in juvenal plumage (1 new, 1
recapture)
Hermit Thrush 1 free-flying juvenile
American Robin 1 adult male
Black-and-white Warbler 1 immature male
Blackpoll Warbler 10 5 free-flying juveniles, 2 new males, 2 new
females, 1 recaptured female
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 7 6 free-flying juveniles, 1 recaptured
male
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) 15 13 free-flying juveniles, 2
recaptured males
White-throated Sparrow 3 free-flying juveniles
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 immature male

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S38359275

We'll likely make a final summer field trip next week, then one more in
mid-September.

Chris

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies