Date: 7/26/17 7:19 pm
From: Stuart Winquist via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Shorebird Puddles
I would encourage Hammonasset knowledgable birders who are also affiliated with other conservation minded organizations, whom they can officially represent, to throw their names into the ring. A coalition of organizations led by COA could have more weight, and give those other organizations contacts for other projects. In addition to the Conservation Commissions mentioned on another post, the Madison Land Trust, any of the Audubons or other orgs could be helpful. I've had a few contacts with various DEEP people through my involvement with the Middlesex Land Trust and found them to be very dedicated people.

In addition to maintaining habitat, seasonally closing off sections of unpaved over-flow parking lots might help keep birds from being disturbed in some instances, including at the puddles under discussion and the grass lot near the nature center where plovers and other migrants rest and feed. I'm not down there very often, but I often see cars flushing birds in these areas.

Stuart Winquist, East Hampton

Sent from my iPhone