Date: 7/26/17 5:57 pm
From: Wilkins, Vern W <vwilkins...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Re: Goose Pond FWA shorebirds and little blue herons
I started out with a plan today, but as usual, things didn't work out exactly as planned. I was going to catch the Yellow-crowned Night-Herons at Greene-Sullivan, then head to Robeson Hills Nature Preserve, across the Wabash from Vincennes, then go back to Goose Pond for the evening if I had time. The Yellow-crowned Night-Herons (3) were out stalking crayfish or whatever else they were finding in a relatively dry but recently mowed field. I went on to Illinois, I had a map of the Robeson Hills property, and some detailed directions, but I couldn't find any access. The rest stop on 50 is closed and I saw no signs or trails from there. I circled the property looking for parking, trails, or signs, and couldn't find anything. I did some birding from the road along the Wabash, and it was pretty good. Sure there is a lot of good shorebird habitat in the spring, and there was still some today. I decided to go back to Goose Pond earlier than planned.

I walked the dirt levee off 59, from the north end of Main Pool, where a lot of work was done this summer. Despite the heat, it was so nice to be able to walk a clear path. I ended up walking all the way to the bridge on the south end of 1200, 3 miles one way. The walk there wasn't too but I felt the heat on the way back. Tons of birds though. The ditches had a lot of Yellow Warblers, Bell's Vireos, Willow Flycatchers, etc. I had three Black-crowned Night-Herons, two adults and one juvenile. I couldn't see them before they flushed, and they seemed very annoyed with me. They went far out across MP, to the west, and I thought they were going to keep going, but they put down in dense vegetation in the middle of MP, still east of 59.

There were quite a few Little Blue Herons. I feel confident with a count of 8. On the walk out I saw mostly individuals, but on the walk back they had bunched up more and I regularly saw groups of 3 and 4 together, at one point seeing one group of four far to the east side of the levee, one group of three far to the west, and another individual, so I just took that as my high count. They were very spread out most of the day, moving around quite a bit, and often completely hidden in vegetation far out from the levees.

The high count of Common Gallinule that Amy and Don had was very evident again today. So much calling, lots of juveniles, and many adults. At one point I saw two adults with eight juveniles, maybe two different families? All the shorebirds continued and there were a lot of good views, both from the dirt levee going south, and going south on the levee along 1200 from the north. I didn't keep track of shorebirds by unit, but total numbers were similar, with a lot to be seen from either levee. The only difference I can see in numbers, I had 14 Spotted Sandpipers just walking the dirt levee. Four Least Terns were seen, way towards the south end of the dirt levee. Two were sitting on a gravel on what I think is a levee when the water is low, while two were diving on fish. At least one was a juvenile.

I swung back through GSSF on the way home and photographed a Barred Owl still in decent light. I had a great time watching the bird hunting, it seemed hyper-active, spinning it's head around constantly watching every bird moving around in the woods. I started recording some video and as soon as I did, someone came driving down the gravel road at about 50mph and the owl flushed far back into the woods. Decent birding for a hot and humid day in the 90's though.

Vern