Date: 7/26/17 9:15 am
From: john--- via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Shorebird Puddles
The answer you received actually does not remotely address the particular areas in question which are simply natural depressions in the grassy fields adjacent to an unpaved parking lot and specifically NOT in the parking area itself. Also they are not "potholes," which are due to frost heaves in paved areas. The rain puddles were not in areas of visitor foot traffic and created no "safety" hazard whatsoever.

Notice how the order came from the faceless all-high "commissioner' office," so no named individual can be held accountable. Emails are not the answer. We need a face to face meeting not necessarily with Mr. Tyler, but with the individual in the "commissioner's office" from whom he receives his marching orders. The buck has to stop somewhere.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017, Kathy Van Der Aue via CTBirds <ctbirds...> wrote:

I have received a copy of the official response to Mark Szantyr from Tom Tyler of the Parks division, via Susan Whalen (see below). I suggest that we take them up on the offer to work with us to create "pothole" habitat in the park in places that are not used for parking. Does anyone know about how to create artificial shorebird habitat which would mimic the areas in the existing parking lots? Clearly the park wants the parking lots free of potholes. The alternative might be for them to pave the parking lots, which none of us wants. ​"​ Thank you for your email regarding the recent parking lot maintenance at Hammonasset Beach. The management of Hammonasset Beach State Park is the responsibility of the State Parks and Public Outreach Division of the DEEP, and the Commissioner's office has asked me to respond to your concern on behalf of the Department. This issue is one that has been raised by members of the birding community in past years. We have been urged by folks to allow parking lot potholes to be left to fill with water and grow to provide habitat for birds. Unfortunately, we cannot commit to maintaining bird habitat in the parking lots at Hammonasset Beach. We do need to perform routine maintenance (including filling potholes) in an attempt to assure the safety of our park visitors and to maintain the usefulness of the parking lots. I will reiterate our previous (and standing) offer to work with members of the birding community and our Wildlife Division staff to enhance habitat outside of the parking lots, if there are some specific habitat conditions that do not currently exist at the park, that we could collectively work to create. If this is something you would like to explore, or if you would like to discuss this issue further, please feel free to contact me at 860-424-3099 Thank you Tom Tyler ​" ​ Kathy Van Der ​ ​ Aue Southport, Connecticut Visit my Blog at http://naturaliststable.wordpress.com _______________________________________________ This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut. For subscription information visit http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org