Date: 7/26/17 7:02 am
From: Joe Roller <jroller9...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Magnificent Hummingbird Gilpin
Here are some details about the recent AOU split of Magnificent Hummer into
Rivoli's Hummer and Talamanca Hummer.
Reference is the ABA blog. http://blog.aba.org/2017/07/2017-aos-supplement.
html

Pertinent excerpt:

*"Split of Magnificent Hummingbird*

- *Rivoli’s Hummingbird (Eugenes fulgens)*
- *Talamanca Hummingbird* (Eugenes spectabilis) *

*This split separates birds of southern Central America from those of
Mexico, the U.S., and northern Middle America. Rivoli’s Hummingbird is
found in pine–oak woodlands from the southwestern U.S. south to northern
Nicaragua; adult males have a peridot-colored (yellow-green) throat and
blackish underparts. Talamanca Hummingbird is found in cloudforest and high
oak forests of Costa Rica and western Panama; adult males have a turquoise-
or teal-colored throat and dark green underparts. The latter was originally
named “Admirable Hummingbird” by Robert Ridgway, but his suggestion was
unheeded. Instead, Eugenes spectabilis has been named for the Talamanca
Mountains of eastern Costa Rica."*
By the way, I am serious for a change. I realize that it is pretty pathetic
when one has such a bad reputation of
making up interesting facts and needs to state: "I am serious for a change."

Joe Roller, Denver