Date: 7/26/17 4:59 am
From: Kathy Van Der Aue via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Shorebird Puddles
I have received a copy of the official response to Mark Szantyr from Tom
Tyler of the Parks division, via Susan Whalen (see below). I suggest that
we take them up on the offer to work with us to create "pothole" habitat in
the park in places that are not used for parking. Does anyone know about
how to create artificial shorebird habitat which would mimic the areas in
the existing parking lots? Clearly the park wants the parking lots free of
potholes. The alternative might be for them to pave the parking lots,
which none of us wants.

​"​
Thank you for your email regarding the recent parking lot maintenance at
Hammonasset Beach. The management of Hammonasset Beach State Park is the
responsibility of the State Parks and Public Outreach Division of the DEEP,
and the Commissioner's office has asked me to respond to your concern on
behalf of the Department.

This issue is one that has been raised by members of the birding community
in past years. We have been urged by folks to allow parking lot potholes
to be left to fill with water and grow to provide habitat for birds.
Unfortunately, we cannot commit to maintaining bird habitat in the parking
lots at Hammonasset Beach. We do need to perform routine maintenance
(including filling potholes) in an attempt to assure the safety of our park
visitors and to maintain the usefulness of the parking lots.

I will reiterate our previous (and standing) offer to work with members of
the birding community and our Wildlife Division staff to enhance habitat
outside of the parking lots, if there are some specific habitat conditions
that do not currently exist at the park, that we could collectively work to
create.

If this is something you would like to explore, or if you would like to
discuss this issue further, please feel free to contact me at 860-424-3099

Thank you

Tom Tyler
​"

Kathy Van Der