Date: 7/24/17 6:46 pm
From: Sarah Faulkner via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Thank you for the binoculars for the Amazon!
I returned from Peru yesterday, and wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to the seven Connecticut birders who donated binoculars to the Amazon Binocular Project sponsored through the Cornell Birdsleuth program ( http://www.amazonworkshops.com/amazon-binocular-project.html ). I helped teach students in two communities how to use them, and they in turn helped me identify their birds! It was an inspiring activity. I wish you could have seen the joy on their faces when they magnified the images of their common birds for the first time. Wow!!!

The indigenous people of the Amazon know that ecotourism is possibly the best way to protect both their beloved forest and their way of life, and helping the children of their communities become birders and ecologists is a huge step toward a sustainable future for them.

The set of binoculars is now being moved from commuity to community with the sponsoring guides, to help teach many students about their own birds.The next goal for the program is to purchase sets of bins that can be given -- permanently -- to the children of the communities. They have a deal with Celestron to purchase pairs for about $100 each; if you're interested in donating to help make these a reality, please contact either me or Phil Kahler (use the website for Phil).

And check out Phil's description of one of our days with the kids in the Amazon - scroll down on his Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/phil.kahler.1

And again, thanks so much for the generosity!

Sarah Faulkner, Collinsville