Date: 7/24/17 10:07 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Caspian Tern Fisheries
Well I got the tern ID correct but Wayne and Roy have each identified the
fish as a wide-mouth, filter-feeding anchovy, thereby exonerating the
tern. Hopefully this will cause the tern control program to be
discontinued.

And i'm now zero for two with Wayne on aquatic creature ID.

On Sunday, July 23, 2017, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
> Owen's 'sculpin photo'
>
> https://www.freelists.org/post/obol/Pacific-Staghorn-Sculpin
>
> reminded me of one I took 20+ years ago at the
> (then) spectacular BayOcean Shorebird Flats. (Attached). The fish was
captured in one of the channels
> through the flats at low tide.
>
> I'm sure many would prefer that Caspian Terns stick to sculpins.
>
> Coincidentally, today I received the following email from my brother in
San Jose.

> "I heard a report on KCBS radio yesterday while driving. They said that
during the past two weeks (and continuing still) the salmon run was
spectacular. Most all pleasure boats were reporting they'd reached their
limits on all trips. They went on to say that the California Department of
Fisheries had actually been predicting a very poor year due to the major
drought conditions three years ago. They were surprised. But it then went
on to say that they believed they had figured out the reason. Three years
ago they had been very worried that creek and river levels were too low for
the hatchery-raised fingerlings to reach the ocean dependably. So instead
of hatchery release, they had instead trucked the fingerlings down to the
lower delta where it enters the bay and released them there.
> They believe that this massively improved the survival rate and this was
the result."

> Up here, historically, Caspian Terns have been 'controlled' and salmon
smolts have been barged past many or all of the damns. I assume the
barging was of hatchery fish but I don't know where they were released nor
whether that practice continues.

> Pardon the low resolution of this ancient slide scan. (The resolution is
good enough however to show the dust specs on the slide).

> Bob OBrien
>
> PS The salmon smolt appears to be yelling for help, but it's not going
to get it from the juvenile Western Gull.

Join us on Facebook!