Date: 7/23/17 8:51 pm
From: Clifford Cathers <cacathers...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ:07/23/17:Scotia Canyon TAS Trip
I led the Tucson Audubon Society Field Trip to Scotia Canyon on the west
side of the Huachuca Mountains this soggy morning. The road past Parker
Canyon Lake and into Sunnyside and Scotia Canyons was in much better shape
than expected given the heavy monsoon season.

On the way down on Route 83 from Sonoita, BOTTERI'S and GRASSHOPPER
SPARROWs were actively singing.

A restroom break at Parker Canyon Lake yielded a WESTERN GREBE.

The Huachuca Mountains were shrouded in mist this morning and it was
extremely humid with scattered thunderstorms when we arrived. Somehow we
eked out 2.5 hours of partial sunshine and building thunderheads for a good
walk in the canyon, albeit it was dark and a bit gloomy under the trees,
and the birds were quieter than expected.

SULPHUR-BELLIED FLYCATCHERs were the exception as noisy pairs were calling
throughout. We had a fantastic, open branch, sunny look at one at the
start of the hike. An ELEGANT TROGON pair barked at us first up canyon and
then down, with only fleeting looks through the vegetation and each time
one or the other flew. BUFF-BREASTED FLYCACTHERs were numerous but mostly
hidden while calling, though one individual on the ground held for quite a
while. EASTERN BLUEBIRDs were visiting a nest cavity and WESTERN WOOD
PEWEEs were just numerous.

Other birds included DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER, PLUMBEOUS and HUTTON's
VIREOs, BROWN CREEPERs singing, GRACE'S WARBLER, CASSIN'S KINGBIRDs,
PAINTED REDSTART, HEPATIC TANAGER, HERMIT THRUSH and the like, mostly
normal stuff.

Just as we got back to the cars, it started to rain, and a hasty retreat
was necessary to avoid an incoming heavy storm that chased us all the way
back towards the Canelo Hills.

Clifford A. Cathers
Vail, AZ
<AZCliffy...>