Date: 7/23/17 5:37 pm
From: R. Farrell <pollypie...>
Subject: RE: [MASSBIRD] Gooseberry Neck (Westport) shearwater phenomenon
In years when Cory's Shearwaters are recorded close to shore off Gooseberry
Neck, MA, and Jamestown, RI, many are found in Vineyard Sound, as far north
as Quicks and Robinsons Holes between the Elizabeth Islands. During these
occurrences, there are a few in the Buzzards Bay waters off Pasque and
Nashawena Islands. I've never seen Cory's farther north. It's possible that
the Cory's Shearwaters off Gooseberry Neck were in Vineyard Sound later that
day or the next.

In June, Sooty Shearwaters can be seen as far north as 2-3 miles off the
shore of West Falmouth Harbor in upper Buzzards Bay.

In fall and early winter, Northern Gannets are common in upper Buzzards Bay,
as far north as Bourne and into the Cape Cod Canal. I have photos of
gannets flying over my head as I walked the shoreline in Falmouth.

Rachel Farrell

_____