Date: 7/23/17 12:04 pm
Subject: Re: Henderson Cty, NC Lake Osceola
"For the record", a July date would strongly hint at Short-billed
Dowitcher, not Long-billed. Short-billed is the early fall migrant of the
two, mainly in July, August, and early September. Long-billed is
notoriously late, mainly in September and October, sparingly in August
inland.

As there is no known record of Long-billed Dowitcher for the entire
mountain province in NC, not just Henderson County, it is very important to
get this bird correctly identified and verified (by the records committee).

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Wayne Forsythe <wforsythe...>
wrote:

> Folks, About 11:15 am Ron Selvey called me to report a Dowitcher at Lake
> Osceola. Upon my arrival we put a scope on the bird who was feeding on a
> mud flat. While the bird is pretty colorful, the face was very pale with a
> prominent white stripe over the the eye. I took several digiscoped
> pictures, from a pretty good distance so who knows if any will be
> diagnostic. Prior to leaving, I played the tape for Short-billed with no
> reaction from the bird. I then played the tape for Long-billed and the bird
> immediately took flight and circled 3 times overhead before settling back
> down on the mudflat. While not diagnostic, I think based on the early date
> and response to the playback, it may in fact be a Long-billed Dowitcher. I
> believe this could be a first record for Henderson Cty. if it proves to be
> the latter!
> The bird is feeding on the longest mudflat, in the middle of what's
> left of the lake,in front of the White House with the tower under
> construction.
> Wayne
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!