Date: 7/20/17 6:56 pm
From: Denis DeSilvis <avnacrs4birds...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course monthly bird walk - 7-20-2017
Tweeters,

Misty and cool (57degF) just before the seven of us started, but the sky started to clear up and most of us shed outerwear either then or a bit later. Lots of chickadee family parties moving around through various areas along our route. Highlights include a WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE feeding young at a nest (exceptional spotting in a tall Douglas-fir across two roughs and a fairway); a GREAT HORNED OWL in the cut-through path near Dupont housing; a MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER singing an off-kilter song along the power line corridor; and many swallows feeding over Hodge Lake.

Mammals include 5 black-tailed deer (incl. one unspotted fawn); and at least one Townsend's chipmunk and several Douglas squirrels.

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

August 17

September 21

October 19

Anyone is welcome to join us!

42 species (+1 other taxa)

Sharp-shinned Hawk 1

Red-tailed Hawk 1

Killdeer 2 Uncommon at the golf course; two were flyovers (calling) at the driving range.

Band-tailed Pigeon 1

Great Horned Owl 1 In cut-through near Dupont housing

Anna's Hummingbird 1

Rufous Hummingbird 2

Downy Woodpecker 2

Northern Flicker 6

Western Wood-Pewee 15

Willow Flycatcher 3 Nest was found between holes 4 and 5 on the "green" course.

Pacific-slope Flycatcher 10

Steller's Jay 2

American/Northwestern Crow 2

Tree Swallow 7

Violet-green Swallow 3

Barn Swallow 42

Cliff Swallow 2

Black-capped Chickadee 29

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 22

Bushtit 8

Red-breasted Nuthatch 14

Brown Creeper 1

House Wren 1

Bewick's Wren 1

Swainson's Thrush 1

American Robin 13

European Starling 4

Cedar Waxwing 16 10 in one small flock

MacGillivray's Warbler 1 Adult male singing unusual song - near entrance to power line corridor, a place we've not seen this species previously.

Common Yellowthroat 1

Yellow-rumped Warbler 2 Adult male feeding young fledgling.

Dark-eyed Junco 30

White-crowned Sparrow 7

Song Sparrow 8

Spotted Towhee 9